Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Battle of the Hemispheres.

Every day I see new things, I do new things, I hear new things, and I feel new things. I have so many things I want to write at the moment. I want to speak up my mind on so many things. I wanna share, discuss and change thoughts with people.

But at the same time, I have few challenges:

#1- My English is weak, is bad, and is lame.

#2- I have never been to any mental checkups but I think I'm suffering from A.D.D. So, where do I sign?

#3- I prefer physical conversations as in face-to-face with REAL PEOPLE in order to achieve my objective of sharing thoughts.

#4- I tend to stray from my objective when I write something. Refer point #2.

#5- I think I can write in Bahasa Melayu, only it’s going to be too long.
Example: Saya rasa saya boleh menulis dalam Bahasa Melayu, cuma ia akan menjadi sangat panjang. Simpler example: Saya = I. Extra three (3) letters to define the same thing. No I’m not being un-nationalist. Plus, I'm training and improving my English.

#6- I have a tendency to write poems, if I may call my ‘poems’, poems. Again, refer point #1.

*******
So, what should I write now?

I should write about Human Brain.

Remember (or have you ever read) an entry I wrote about…… wait let me search for it. Wait… wait… Ah ha, click HERE. <- THERE, not HERE nor HERE.

Brain is a subject I believe even the best scientists throughout the whole generations cannot best explain the truth and the mysteries of human brains. There are always new ideas, new theories, new explorations, new findings and new discoveries about brain. Look at it this way; there’s always something happening around the world or around the universe every single second, constantly. So there’s no way the best scientist in Japan would know what the best scientist in Germany is doing. I just named two countries.

By the way, do you know how many countries are there in this world? Exactly. No one can be too sure. As of now, there are around 195 countries in the world. The number might increase the number might decrease, no one can be too sure about it.
*Source: http://www.worldatlas.com/nations.htm

Okay, let’s cut the crap, again.

Brain. Brain. Brain.

What’s so interesting about human brain?

Every animal you can think of -- mammals, birds, reptiles, fish, amphibians -- has a brain. But the human brain is unique. It gives us the power to think, plan, speak, imagine... It is truly an amazing organ.

The brain performs an incredible number of tasks:

#1- It controls body temperature, blood pressure, heart rate and breathing.

#2- It accepts a flood of information about the world around you from your various senses (seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting, touching, etc).

#3- It handles physical motion when walking, talking, standing or sitting.

#4- It lets you think, dream, reason and experience emotions.

*******
I don’t wanna go in too technical, I wanna talk about what most people have read or heard of: Left Brain vs. Right Brain.


Battle of the Hemispheres.

Nice…….

But before that, Let me ask you one fun trivia question: Why polar bears don’t eat penguins?

The reason they don't is because polar bears and penguins live a long distance apart. Polar bears live in Arctic regions of North America, Europe and Asia a.k.a northern hemisphere whereas penguins live in the Antarctica a.k.a southern hemisphere. If polar bears had the opportunity to eat penguins, I'm quite sure they would, don’t you think so?

See, one good Battle of the Hemispheres.

Alright, let’s start with Right Brain. Langkah kanan orang-orang utan..., ehhh salah, orang tua- tua cakap.


The right side of the brain is often thought of as the dreamers, the artists, and the musicians of the world. I’ll list down some things associated with Right Brain:

- Prefer rock music
- Right brain controls left side of body
- Prefer visual instructions with examples
- Good at sports
- Good at art
- Follow Eastern Thought*
- Cat lovers
- Enjoy clowning around
- Can be hypnotized
- Like to read fantasy and mystery stories
- Can listen to music or TV while studying
- Like to write fiction
- Prefer group
- Fun to dream about things that will probably never happen
- Enjoy making up own drawings and images
- Good at geometry
- Like organizing things to show relation
- Can memorize music
- Occasionally absent-minded
- Like to act out stories
- Enjoy interacting affectionately with others
- Think better when lying down
- Become restless during long verbal explanations
- Enjoy creative storytelling
- Prefer to learn through free exploration
- Good at recalling spatial imagery
- Read for main details
- Skilled in showing relationships between ideas
- Preference for summarizing over outlining
- Solve problems intuitively
- Very spontaneous and unpredictable
- Dreamer
- Philosophical

*******
Now, how about the Left Brain?


The left side of the brain is often thought of as the logical, thinking side. Some of the characteristics:

- Prefer Classical Music
- Your Left-Brain controls the right side of your body
- Prefer things like instructions to be done verbally
- Good at math
- Like to read
- Follow Western Thought*
- Very Logical
- Dog lovers
- Don't enjoy clowning around
- Can't be hypnotized
- Usually remember things only specifically studied
- Need total quiet to read or study
- Like to read realistic stories
- Like to write non-fiction
- Prefer individual counseling
- Enjoy copying or tracing pictures and filling in details
- Also like to read action stories
- Usually rational
- Usually do things in a planned orderly way
- If you have to answer someone's question, you won't let your personal feelings get in the way
- Good at algebra
- Can remember verbal material
- Almost never absent minded
- Like to tell stories but not act them out
- Can think better sitting down
- Like to be a music critic
- Attentive during long verbal explanations
- Prefer well structured assignments over open ended ones
- Read for specific details and facts
- Skilled at sequencing ideas
- Likes to be organized

*Eastern and Western thought: A doctor in an a country like China would first ask a person how they are doing and what else is going on in their life before they give them medicine. A doctor in North America would just ask them what their symptoms were and then give them medicine.

*******

Click to enlarge if you are too dumb

Wow, quite a list wasn't it?

I have to say, I do see my DOMINANT side in one of the categories. Pretty fascinating to know though. How about you?

Finally we come to the last question: Who wins the battle?

Answer: There’s no winner.

Please keep this in your brain:

Just because you THINK you are a Left-Brainer or a Right-Brainer or even a No-Brainer, it doesn’t mean one is “smarter” or “dumber” than the other. They just have their strength in different areas.

I would be dumber to tell you the same thing twice

Another example:
There is a known correlation between brain size and intellectual ability. Homo Erectus, our distant ancestor, had a brain size of about 1200 cc. Modern Homo Sapiens have an average brain of about 1400 cc. Oddly, the Neanderthal people who failed to evolve into humans already had a brain size of 1500 cc -- larger than modern man. Obviously then, it’s not only how big the brain is as much as how it is configured. This is further evidenced by the fact that we have known genius brains measuring as small as 1000 cc and as large as 2000 cc.

Let’s stop with this boring thing already. Now, how about we do some tests to our beloved and amazing so-called BRAIN?

*******

Test serial number #101010101010:


“The great pleasure and feeling in my right brain is more than my left brain can find the words to tell you.”
Roger W. Sperry, Noble Prize Winner


Test serial number #110011001100:

Look at the facial expressions depicted below.



Write the corresponding letter that represents your interpretation of
each of the following emotions:

HAPPY, DISGUST, CONCERNED, SURPRISED,
SUSPICIOUS, SAD, HORRIFIED, ANGRY.

When you've made your list, check here for most popular interpretations.


Test serial number #010101010101:

Look at the moving object of a dancer below.



Do you see the dancer turning clockwise or anti-clockwise?

If clockwise, then you use more of the right side of the brain and vice versa.

Most of us would see the dancer turning anti-clockwise though you can try to focus and change the direction; see if you can do it.

*******

Phewww... That was rather long. Enjoy reading and playing with your own brain.


Dem yuh!

No comments:

 
web count
web count