Friday, February 20, 2009

Novel: The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga

I can't believe I never reviewed anything regarding books/readings/literatures. I was browsing my 'Naughty Labels' and no, nothing on books. Dem mi! That's why I'm still one of the ignorant fuckers, I don't read books. Well actually I do read books. What the hell am I talking about here??!!

I don't wish to go off-road, so I will tell you about this one book I read when I was having my recent new year holiday in Langkawi. Thanks to Mr. Rubinder Singh who was kind enough to lend me his book. So I took some free times to read, before I went to sleep, after I woke up, while chilling under the coconut trees, in the bathroom (no, it's different 'book', not this one).

One of the rarest breed, The White Tiger

The novel is titled The White Tiger. It's written by Aravind Adiga. It's a story about Balram Halwai, the son of a rickshaw puller who was born in a village in heartland India. Balram is taken out of school by his family and put to work in a teashop. As he crushes coals and wipes tables, he nurses a dream of escape - breaking away from the banks of Mother Ganga, into whose depths have seeped the remains of a hundred generations.

The White Tiger is a tale of two Indias (not two Indians). Balram's journey from darkness of village life to the light of entrepreneurial success is utterly amoral, brilliantly irreverent, deeply endearing and altogether unforgettable.

This is rather deep. I love this book. It gives me a whole new lot of perspectives of other countries, cultures, light and darkness, reality and fantasy, in this case, India respectively. Aravind Adiga received a very special and prestigious award for this book, The Man Booker Prize. This award promotes the finest in fiction by awarded each year for the best original full-length novel, written in the English language, by a citizen of either the Commonwealth of Nations or Ireland. This prize is the world's most important literary award and has the power to transform the fortunes of the authors and even publishers!

Mr. Adiga with the 2008 top award

For those who's looking for something not really normal, as in different from any other books you've read all these while, I suggest this book. Maybe you'll have a different perspectives in life afterwards. Just maybe.


Dem yuh!

No comments:

 
web count
web count