Thursday, December 18, 2008

Movie: True Romance

WHO SAID ROMANCE IS DEAD?


I'll be honest, initially I bought this movie because of the TITLE. Yep! True Romance... At a glance. Can it be any better title than that? Hell no! And of course, me being myself (a true romantic guy *woohoo*) I've always looked for talk-of-the-town movies. I don't mind old movies or new movies or anything, but normally I would ask people. I ask people about a lot of things, all the time. Not that I'm indecisive or uncertain or having no stand but more to be sure and not acting bodoh sombong. After all, I'm not going to decide something based on other people's suggestions or influence. I will make my own decision, and I will stand by it like a man.

Anyways, back to this movie. I bought it because of the title and when I flipped back, I saw the line-ups. Wow, heavyweights.. Christian Slater, Patricia Arquette, Dennis Hopper, Val Kilmer, Christopher Walken, Gary Oldman, Brad Pitt, Sam Lee Jackson and few more (James Gandolfini for instance!) very talented actors. Written by Quentin Tarantino? What? Directed by Tony Scott? What?? I mean, wow..... Bought it without any second thought.

Went home, placed myself in the laziest position on the couch, and pressed the triangle "Play" button.

This story is kinda like "Bonnie & Clyde" remake, but in a very own Tarantino-style. It's about a guy, Clarence Worley (Slater) who coincidently met a woman, Alabama Whitman (Arquette) in a cinema. One thing led to another and voilla, the magic happened. But the truth is Alabama was sent by Clarence's boss as a gift for his birthday (Alabama was a call-girl). But Alabama told him that she think she loves him. This is what she said,

ALABAMA: Please shut up! I'm trying to come clean, okay? I've been a call-girl for exactly four days and you're my third customer. I want you to know that I'm not damaged goods. I'm not what they call Florida white trash. I'm a good person and when it comes to relationships, I'm one-hundred percent, I'm one hundred percent... monogamous.

and Clarence replied,

CLARENCE: You just said you love me, now if I say I love you and just throw caution to the wind and let the chips fall where they may and you're lying to me I'm gonna fuckin' die.

And so they got married. Clarence Worley and Alabama Worley. But Clarence, being a homeboy, was feeling restless knowing that Alabama in a way or another still connected to her pimp daddy, Drexl Spivey (Oldman). So he went to see Drexl to settle the 'debt' as a compensation to set her free. Clarence came with an envelope filled with nothing. Drexl was pissed and whacked the shit out of him, but he (Clarence) managed to shoot and killed Drexl and his right-hand guy. He went back home with Alabama's luggage that was left there. Alabama couldn't believe what he did (killing Drexl). This is the conversation.

ALABAMA: Is this a joke?

CLARENCE: No joke. This is probably the best hamburger I've ever had. I'm serious, I've never had a hamburger taste this good.

(Alabama starts to cry)


CLARENCE: Come on, Bama, eat something. You'll feel better.

(She continues crying)


Finally, he spins on her yelling.


CLARENCE: Why are you crying? He's not worth one of your tears.


CLARENCE: Would you rather it been me? Do you love him?

(no answer)
again.

CLARENCE: Do you love him?

(no answer)


again.


CLARENCE: Do you love him?


ALABAMA: I think what you did was...

CLARENCE: What?


ALABAMA
: I think what you did...

CLARENCE: What???

ALABAMA: I think what you did...


CLARENCE: What???!!


ALABAMA: ... was so romantic.


Then they met in a long passionate lovers' kiss. I was so taken aback at this very moment. Wow... Truly amazing movie, and it's not yet half the whole story. Gosh..


Not since Bonnie and Clyde have two people been so good at being bad.

But it happened that the bag (that was mistaken as Alabama's bag) had so much full of La Coka. Want to know more? Go watch yourself and see what they did with the coke, their journey to Hollywood, the killings and the true romance...

I wish I could write more, because believe me I can write the whole storyline because this movie is the shiznit! Fo shizzle ma nizzle! And plus, I have so many works to do now *still in the office at almost 8pm*

Another thing about this movie, the script is very strong and full of cool lines. Quentin will not upset you. I guess I'm so outdated, since this movie was produced back in 1993, and I was only, err.... 10 years old?? It's good I got to watch this movie at this point of age (it has something to do with your level of maturity, appreciation for films, scripts). Owh and Patricia Arquette in this movie, I'm soooooo fucking in love with her. The character is very cool and sexy but kinda naive.

Lastly, few cool lines that I should mention here (out of thousands):

1- Mentor (Kilmer): You think a cop gives a fuck about a pimp? Listen. Every pimp in the world gets shot. Two in the back of the fuckin' head. Cops'd throw a party, man.

2- Alabama: I had to come all the way from the highway and byways of Tallahassee, Florida to MotorCity, Detroit to find my true love. If you gave me a million years to ponder, I would never have guessed that true romance and Detroit would ever go together. And til this day, the events that followed all still seems like a distant dream. But the dream was real and was to change our lives forever. I kept asking Clarence why our world seemed to be collapsing and things seemed to be getting so shitty. And he'd say, "that's the way it goes, but don't forget, it goes the other way too." That's the way romance is... Usually, that's the way it goes, but every once in awhile, it goes the other way too.

3- Virgil (Gandolfini): Now the first time you kill somebody, that's the hardest. I don't give a shit if you're fuckin' Wyatt Earp or Jack the Ripper. Remember that guy in Texas? The guy up in that fuckin' tower that killed all them people? I'll bet you green money that first little black dot he took a bead on, that was the bitch of the bunch. First one is tough, no fuckin' foolin'. The second one... the second one ain't no fuckin' Mardi Gras either, but it's better than the first one 'cause you still feel the same thing, y'know... except it's more diluted, y'know it's... it's better. I threw up on the first one, you believe that? Then the third one... the third one is easy, you level right off. It's no problem. Now... shit... now I do it just to watch their fuckin' expression change.

There's more. Just go fucking watch already!

When you are tired of relationships, try a romance.

I'll rate this movie: 9/10 mofo!

Dem yuh!!!

No comments:

 
web count
web count